I was flipping through one of my baby magazines this morning and found an article that talked about how babies can be comforted by familiar smells, such as their mother's skin, mother's clothes, lavendar lotion, or even just a particular scent they are introduced to during a peaceful time.
As I sit here this morning in my robe (it's freezing in our house!), I just got a faint whiff of my lotion that I put on every morning, and it reminded me of my mom and her bathrobe. I remember it being the most comforting thing ever. It was an ugly fuzzy yellow thing - probably years and years older than me - but it was the warmest, most comfortable and best smelling robe ever. If I were lonely or at home sick, the best medicine was to grab Mom's robe and curl up in bed with it on. I don't remember the particular lotion or perfume that she used that made the robe smell so good - but I think it was more the comfort of Mom's smell that makes me remember it so well.
So it's not just the babies who are comforted by the smell of their mother - it's kids, teenagers and even adults (i.e. crazy hormonal 27-year old pregnant girls) who can be comforted by their mother's smell, or even just the thought of it.
Love you Mom! :)
1 comment:
i know what ya mean...when i do my hair in the morning there is some stuff i use that makes me smell like her! i love it!
Post a Comment