Monday, September 12, 2011

It's A New Day

Today our baby girl went off to "school."

I'm so nervous for her. She's basically going from a "Grandma's house" environment to a school, complete with a lunch room cafeteria. She loved her in-home provider, but after one too many face-scratching incidents from an aggressive little boy, we decided it was best to move her. Even though she was in a center as an infant, all she knows is Miss L's house. Kicking her shoes off when she walks in the door, curling up with a book in the comfy recliner, rocking out to oldies tunes every afternoon during dance time, a ratio of about 1 to 4. It was like home, for her and for me. She did really well with Miss L and learned so much. People sometimes think in-home care is inferior to a center, but we were so pleased with the progress she's made and all that she's learned.

She is so smart and will pick up everything so quickly. Kids are resilient. The change of environment and routine will be a shock for a few days, but I know she'll be fine. It's just -- well, I'm her mom. And I worry. What if she needs go go potty and doesn't know who to tell? What if she doesn't eat her breakfast in the cafeteria and has to go hungry? What if she feels left out - like the typical new kid? What if?

I know I over analyze things. And it doesn't help that I'm an introvert. I hate being put in new social situations. I just don't want her to be scared, like I would be.

Anyway, last night I stayed up until after midnight (which is a feat for me) getting everything ready. We were able to send a blanket and small pillow for nap time, so I stayed up sewing a new pillow case for her little pillow. She got to pick out the fabric from my fabric drawer and everything. The tuition check was placed in the front pocket of her tiny new backpack. Clothes options and shoes were laid out on her dresser. Of course, she wanted to wear her brand new tennis shoes to bed (open toed sandals are discouraged - which is all she's worn this summer), but Daddy sweet talked her out of that. :)

This morning she was up and at 'em bright and early. She drank a big glass of chocolate milk - her new favorite thing.... - and watched some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse before getting ready for her big day. She picked out her favorite big bird shirt and was so excited to wear her new "pack pack." And in true Mommy fashion, I made her pose for a few dozen pictures before we left.

I had a huge lump in my throat as we pulled in. She wanted to hold Mommy & Daddy's hands as we walked toward the big door, but she immediately found her friends and joined them playing at their little picnic table. She chased us down whining as we tried to leave the first time. Another little girl came in for her first day today, too, so our focus shifted for a few minutes. She finally caught sight of the potty and had to use it, so I snuck out of the room while Daddy tended to the potty and the hand washing. Then Daddy stepped back to talk to the center director and she was fine. Went back to playing kitchen with her new friends like she was just one of the regulars.

And then we left, and I drove to work with a huge knot in my stomach. Goodness, I am going to be a mess when she starts kindergarten...

At least one of us was excited!

Showing off the new "pack pack"

Let's go!


This whole "letting them grow up" thing is so bittersweet. Slow down baby girl!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

awe! she is so excited for school! stay strong, girl. she's gonna be just fine! and soon you'll get to hear all the stories of what she did at school every day =)