I used to be very anti-pacifier. I had read that the paci can interfere with breastfeeding if introduced early, it can cause problems with teeth aligning properly and it can be hard to take away. I just *knew* we wouldn't need it before the girl was born.
The night we came home from the hospital, I did a pretty quick 180. In the coming months, our sweet girl became a paci baby. There were times I loved that thing, and there were many nights I cursed it (you know, that stage where they want the paci to fall asleep, but then wake up screaming because they can't put it back into their mouth after they've spit it out during their sleep?). It was a love/hate relationship, for sure.
A long while ago we cut way back and only allowed the paci during naptime and at night. We had gotten into a pretty good routine with it, and sometimes she even asked to go to bed early so she could have her paci! In my mind, I'd planned on taking it away before she turned 3 and could understand what we were doing (and hopefully she could have a say in it, like the stories I've heard of the "paci fairy).
Rewind to May 10. I had gone to the gym while Daddy took care of bathtime and bedtime. He also decided to kick off "Operation: Get Rid of the Paci" that night, too. Thank goodness I wasn't there (I am the weak one). She cried for a while but eventually went to sleep and slept all night with no problems. The next night, Daddy put her to bed again and did a great job of explaining to her that she didn't need a paci because she's a big girl. She went down without a peep!
There were a few nights when she cried for her paci, but she soon decided she didn't need it and just needed to be rocked before bed, which a really awesome end to the day for Mommy or Daddy. She's playfully asked for it a few times since then, but we just totally ignore the request and change the subject, and she's fine.
So, we've officially been paci free for almost TWO months! We're so proud of our big little girl!
1 comment:
YAY!! Congrats on being paci free! Big step in being a big girl : )
Post a Comment