Wow - it feels like it's been forever since I last posted a new blog...I guess I've just had a lot to post and no time to post! That, and no electricity to get online!
Last Wednesday evening as I was doing some housework and half paying attention to the news, I noticed that the skies started to darken very quickly and the city storm sirens started going off. Sure enough, Pete Delkus mentioned that storms were coming and that we were under a tornado watch. Just a few minutes later, our power went out and the winds immediately started howling. I have never seen the wind blow so hard in my life! I immediately grabbed Madelyn, a flashlight, my cell phone and a few pillows and got us and Zoe into the bathroom. Madelyn was screaming because I woke her up from a nap and was rushing around. Zoe was freaking out and trying to go outside to see what was going on, meanwhile I was in panic mode because Anthony was at work and I just knew our house was going to blow over... As we sat in the dark in the bathroom, I could hear a heavy rain and the fierce winds. It was pretty scary! Thankfully, we only had to sit in the bathroom for about 30 minutes until the winds calmed down.
That night we ate leftover chicken by candle light. We changed diapers by candle light, and we sweated our butts off by candle light. It continued to thunder and storm all night long. Thursday morning I was reaaaalllly hoping the power would come back on because I had plans to go visit work and run some errands, and I kinda wanted to be able to get ready to do all those things. No such luck. The power still didn't come on, so Madelyn & I made our weekly trip to my doctor and we then walked the mall to get out of our hot and stuffy house. When Anthony got home from work, we had grand plans of eating out to escape the heat, but some little girl just wasn't up for it. So, we had another dinner by candle light as we sweated our butts off again. Thankfully, our awesome friends Dave & Emily offered up their place for the night, so we got to sleep in the wonderful a/c!!
Finally, on Friday morning, after 37 hours without electricity, the power came back on. I don't think I've ever been so excited to do the laundry and dishes. Oh, and I also got to completely clean out the freezer and fridge. Nothing survived. Thank goodness most of our freezer stash was in the deep freeze!
We were lucky. While the worst we lost was our Blue Bell, many of our neighbors are replacing their fences that were knocked over. Just down the road there were trees and a power line pole snapped in half. There was even a house down the street whose chimney was knocked over. We were really lucky this time around.
2 comments:
I have been there and it sucks! Our problems have been because of hurricanes, though. lol
I'm glad your electricity is back on!
Glad to hear things turned out alright. It must have been scary...especially with the baby.
I was able to get everything in ice chests from the fridge and freezer but it thawed. So a cookout with friends followed.
Post a Comment